The following pathways have been approved by the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges:
- Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Bioenergy Operations:
Up to 116 credits over two years (quarter system).
7 new courses in Bioenergy - all available on-line (with hands-on labs): Introduction to Bioenergy; Biorefinery Processes; Biorefinery Equipment; Biomass Feedstock Management; Biorefinery Operations; Bio-Chemical Conversion; and Thermo-Chemical Conversion.
Supporting courses = existing courses in Energy Systems, Water Management, Agriculture, Chemistry, Biology, and Engineering.
- Certificate in Bioenergy Operations:
- Available for completion of Year One sequence (49 credits).
- Three Bioenergy courses required.
- Bioenergy Short Certificate series:
- Tailored for incumbent workers and students at aligned community and technical colleges.
- Biorefinery Processes: Intro. To Bioenergy + Biorefinery Processes (5 credits);
- Biorefinery Operations: Biorefinery Equipment + Biorefinery Operations (7 credits); and
- Chemical Conversion: Bio-Chemical Conversion + Thermo-Chemical Conversion (10 credits).
- Certificate in Biomass Feedstock Management:
- Issued after completion of three quarters course sequence (57.4 credits).
- 75% of courses required for Certificate are also required for existing Associate Degree in Agriculture Science & Technology.
- New Biomass Feedstock Management course = only required Bioenergy course.
- Under development: Associate in Science - Option I (Life Sciences) transfer degree with Bioenergy courses:
- Transfer degree with draft articulations developed in coordination with:
- Oregon State University's Bioresource Research (BRR): Bioproducts and Bioenergy Option program; and
- University of Washington's Environmental Science and Resource Management (ESRM) program.
- Planning to articulate in the future with: Washington State University; University of Idaho; University of California at Davis; and Western Washington University.
Graduates from Walla Walla Community College have secured positions such as:
- Biofuels/Bioproducts Processing Technician (ZeaChem)
- Biofuels Operator (REG Grays Harbor)
- Drinking Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator (past position as Biofuels Operator with Pacific Ethanol)
- Drinking Water Operator
- Hydroelectric Maintenance Mechanic
- Fiberglass Manufacturing Technician
- Ammonia/Refrigeration Technician
- Irrigation Service Technician
- Mint Oil Technician